My super weekend meal, matar paneer. A simple tomato and cashew based gravy, spiced up and mellowed with fresh cream. Very simple to cook with simple, handy ingredients in your kitchen.
You can substitute paneer for potato, mushroom or even soya chunks. In fact, you can pretty much add any tender vegetable to this gravy. Adding fresh cream balances the spices and adds subtle sweetness to the dish, not to forget the creamy texture it gives.
I used frozen peas, get fresh ones if you can. The frozen peas I got were thankfully fresh. Also make a note to use fresh paneer/cottage cheese.
I paired the gravy with ghee rice and this combination just worked out for me. This gravy can be eaten with plain steamed rice, I’d suggest basmathi rice for the flavor it has, or rotis or even Neer Dosa.
With butter, cashews, cream in this dish, its definitely heavier in calories. What more could I have asked for on a Sunday noon! I am sure once in a while you can miss your diet for a sumptuous restaurant like food like this, won’t you? Now, come on, let’s get you cooking!
- Green peas ½ Cup
- Paneer 1 cup diced
- Onion 2
- Tomato 1
- Green Chillies
- Red chilli powder ½ tsp
- Coriander powder ½ tsp
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Turmeric ½ tsp
- Butter or Ghee 2 Tbsp
- Ginger 1 inch finely chopped
- Garlic 7-8 Cloves finely chopped
- Cardamom 2
- Cumin ½ tsp
- Bay leaf
- Cashew nuts 8 to 10
- Cream 1/2 cup
- Grind one onion, tomato, cashew nuts and make a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of ghee and toss paneer till golden brown. This should take approximately 5-6 minutes. keep it aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of Ghee or butter in a pan .
- Put cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add chopped ginger , green chillies, and garlic and sauté it.
- Add 1 cup of finely chopped onions and fry it for 2 minutes till it becomes golden brown.
- Add the ground paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add turmeric,Red chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder and salt. cook it for 2 minutes.
- Now add green peas and 1 – 1.5 cups of water and cook it till the green peas becomes soft.
- Add fried paneer and cook it for another 5 minutes.
- Put the cream and mix it well and turn of the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with chapathi,roti or ghee rice.