I had this yummy simple breakfast to kick start my lazy Sunday. Sundays are meant to be lazy, aren’t they?! Well, I can’t call it lazy because I had to put this together alone.
Usually I do not use capsicum for a shavige /sevai Upma,hold on there, this is not a typical ‘Upma’ upma; I keep it simple like lemon rice, with lots roasted ground nuts. I had to use these capsicum as they were lying in refrigerator for a while now. I have [temporarily] stopped making capsicum bajjies; A lot of calories you see 😉 So these capsicums are keep lying without being used. Lets see how long this commitment stays strong.
Now coming to Upma recipe, prepared in a stir fry style. Cook shavige in lots of hot water 3-4 minutes and strain(or follow the procedure given in packet). Let it cool. Do this first thing as you will give it time to rest, to cool so that they don’t stick to each other.While you do this you can chop vegetables and keep it ready. I used capsicum and green gram sprouts, yes you read it right, I had them sprouted for making Kadhi, it came handy in upma too. Do add carrots and peas if you have, they are definitely making your breakfast rich and tasty!
Follow the recipe below for a healthy good morning start 🙂
- 1 bowl rice shavige/sevai/vermicelli
- Capsicum 1 small
- Onion 1 medium
- Green gram sprouts fistful
- Cashew nuts 4-5
- Groundnuts 15-20
- Green chillies 1-2
- Curry leaves 7-8
- Mustard seeds 1/2tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil 3tbsp
- Coriander Leaves
- Cook rice shavige/ sevai in enough water with little salt. Strain well and keep aside to cool. [You can cook even the sevai as per the instruction in the packet].
- In a kadai, heat oil.
- Fry cashew nuts till they get a light brown colour.
- Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves. now add groundnuts and lightly roast it.
- Add onions and green chillies. Let it fry till transparent.
- Now add capsicum and green gram sprouts and fry well. Add salt.
- Do not overcook capsicum, let there be a crunch to the capsicum.
- Add cooked shavige and toss well. Close the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Finish it with fresh coriander. serve hot .