Are you game for a quick evening snack? Yes this one is really quick and made with crunchy munchies available at your home.
It wouldn’t be difficult to create this wonderful snack in minutes as your hot tea is brewing. Once you put your kettle on stove start with preparation . All in all it takes barely 15 minutes.
How I conceived this idea of chat was from a street side chat shop. I happened to visit a small chat shop by my house run by an old couple. They had a simple menu like all other chat shops but what attracted me was Nippatu masala and bun masala. I tried nippattu masala and the preparation was simple. It had nippattu arranged on plate, topped with onions, tomatoes, sweet and sour chutney, spices and sev. I liked it but had difficulty eating it as the nippattu sizes were bigger and thicker than the average ones. Had he broken them into pieces and mixed with the same masala (like making Bhel..) I would have loved it more. This was eureka moment for me 😛 I planned to make it myself sans the chutney.
Chatpata snack can be made with any crunchy snack for that matter- murukku, shavige or plain sev, bhujiya sev are few options. Every South Indian mother stocks these home made snacks. My home is no exception too, my mom is ever willing to make snacks for us when we visit and she packs for us to carry it back. I did not have nippattu to try the recipe with, so opted for murukku and aloo bhujiya. They taste equally good.
So this recipe is definitely worth your time. It cannot go wrong- give it a try today. Simple recipe; Awesome results guaranteed.
- Murukku 1 cup
- Aloo bhujiya 1/2 cup
- Peanuts roasted 1/2 tbsp
- Onion 1 medium finely chopped
- Tomato 1 medium finely chopped
- Green chilli 1 big
- Coriander leaves 1 small bunch
- Lime 1 small or 2 tsp of lime juice
- Chat masala 1-2 tsp
- Salt to taste.
- Break murukku into small pieces and measure 1 cup
- In a bowl, add all the wet ingredients, chat masala and salt. Mix well.
- Add crushed murukku, bhujiya, roasted peanuts and toss well.
- Squeeze half a lime.
- Give a quick mix and serve immediately.
- 1.Remove the seeds of tomatoes while chopping, we don want a soggy chat.
- 2.Slit the green chillies and remove the seeds. Rinse it well before chopping to reduce the spice.
- 3.To roast peanuts:In a pan toss peanuts with 1 tsp oil and little salt. Remove them off the flame once black spots start appearing on them. You can use un roasted peanuts as well
- 4.You can add finely chopped capsicum and grated carrots to the chat.
- 5.If you are using aloo bhujiya adjust salt as bhujiya is spiced already.
- 6.If you are making chat with sev, choose a thick variety of sev. Because, once you mix all the ingredients sev tends to get soggy with the moisture.
- 7.You can keep the wet ingredients mixed with spices separately in a bowl and mix it with crunchy snack of your choice at the time of consumption.