Potatoes are my favourite vegetable. This is my go-to vegetable to cook when I am lazy. It is kind of staple food for me like rice and is always stocked in my pantry. This humble potato adapts to any spices you throw in or twist you give it. You do anything with it, they always taste good.
Aloo or Potatoes are in fact nutritious when boiled or baked. They are low in calorie, fat and absolutely no cholesterol. But everyone loves fries, don’t we? Fries or roast potatoes are unavoidable, but we will be only adding more calories in our intake. How about making roast potatoes with minimal oil? I say it is possible and this recipe can be altered to make crispy spicy potatoes.
Potato is a starchy vegetable, so if you want to get rid of the starch soak the chopped vegetable in water for at least 30 minutes. Then you can drain the water and use it as required. If your are in a hurry, it absolutely fine to skip the soaking part. even for a beginner, potato is a perfect vegetable to start cooking with.For its adaptiveness it works well with minimal spices, completely hassle free.
Do try my simple potato fry recipe which will be a perfect accompaniment with rice and Daal or roti.
- 1.Potato 2-3 medium sized cubed
- 2.Curry leaves 2 small strands
- 3.Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- 4.Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- 5.Red chilli powder 2-3 tsp
- 6.Coriander powder 1 tsp
- 7.Jeera powder 1 tsp
- 8.Garam masala pinch
- 9.Asafoetida powder a pinch
- 11.Oil 1-2 tbsp
- Cut potatoes into small cubes and soak in water.
- In a small bowl, mix all dry powders except asafoetida.
- In a non stick pan heat oil. Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida.
- Drain the potatoes and add it to the pan.
- Add little salt and fry potatoes on high flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Lower the flame, close the lid and let potatoes cook for approx 15 minutes. do not add water.
- Add spice powders. Mix well to coat the potatoes.
- Serve hot with rice/saru/Daal combination of roti/phulka.
- For crispier potatoes, continue to stir fry the potatoes till they turn crisp on high flame. This would take around 3-5 minutes. Be watchful else you may end up with burnt potatoes 😉
- 1.For crispy potatoes, cut the vegetable into small even cubes.
- 2.Once you drain the potatoes let it stand for 5 minutes. Else you can dry the potatoes on a kitchen towel to remove excess moisture.
- 3.You can skip asafoetida.
- 4.Adjust chilli powder to suit your spice level.
- 5.Amount of oil can be reduced to 1tbsp. It is advisable to use non stick pan as we are using less oil and don't want the potatoes sticking in the pan.