Ever wondered if you can make a hassle free sweet dish. This Deepavali I had a close encounter with my mothers busy kitchen schedule and I was in for surprise! Why? because I thought making 7 cup sweet was a big deal, and it was absolutely not. This sweet little thing is in news because of its simplicity. When i say simple, the credit is for its humble preparation. How could one accomplish a tasty treat the easy way? I will tell you, 7-cup delight is a clear winner in the race.
Now, a little trivia about the name 😉 This dish got its name as it uses 7 equal proportions of the ingredients. Basically there are only 5 simple ingredients that makes up this sweet. 1 each cup of gram flour (besan), coconut, milk, ghee and 3 cups of sugar, adds up to 7 cups and hence the name.
Cooking this sweet is simplest of all. She, my mother, put all the ingredients in a heavy bottomed pan, and kept stirring till it was done. now that needs some real talent. but I will make it simpler for you. We will breathe easy and add each item in minutes gap. Be sure to use a sturdy spoon/ spatula as towards the end the mixture comes together as a hard lump.
As I told you, the original recipe calls for 3 cups of sugar. but you can adjust according to your sweet tooth. My Mom used a little more than 2 cups of sugar as I like it moderately sweetened. Adjusting sugar is not going hurt your preparation. Trust me, nothing will go wrong.
A post Diwali treat, here it is. try it now and let me know if the recipe made you feel wow!!
- 1.Gram flour/besan 1 cup
- 2.Grated coconut 1 cup
- 3.Warm milk 1 cup
- 4.Ghee (melted) 1 cup
- 5.Sugar 2.5-3 cups
- 6.Cardamom powder 1 tsp
- Grease a plate/tray with ghee and keep aside.
- Heat a wide thick bottomed pan on medium flame. I used non stick kadai.
- Fry gram flour for 4-5 minutes.
- Add coconut and mix well.
- Pour milk and ghee. Mix well to incorporate.
- Add a pinch of cardamom/elaichi powder.
- Keep stirring and don't leave the mixture unattended. Adjust the flame if you want.
- When the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan, turn off the flame.
- Pour the mixture on greased plate evenly. Let it cool.
- Around 15 minutes later make deep cuts to your desired shape.
- Let the mixture cool completely before you remove them as pieces.
- 1. Use a cup of any measurement to measure all the ingredients.
- 2. You can add 2 more tbsp of coconut if you.
- 3. Chopped and lightly roasted almonds or cashew can be added.
- 4. Sweet stays good for 4-5 days at room temperature.
- 5. Store it in air-tight jar after it has cooled completely.
- 6. Do not refrigerate.