Pineapple Sweet Curry / Menaskai is a tangy-sweet medley of vegetable/fruit in coconut gravy. It is an essential and integral part of Udupi Brahmin cuisine. We call it as Muddhuli, but Menaskai is a more popular name and easily identifiable.
Menaskai is a thick concoction of several elements. A usual coconut based curry in coastal region will essentially have chillies, coriander, tamarind along with coconut. But Menaskai is going to be different for its use of sesame seeds. Sesame tends to give a distinct flavour to the curry.
Pineapple, mango, hog plums are commonly used in menaskai. Come summer and all the functions in the coastal region proudly has mango menaskai in their menu. But the quantity in which they are served is very little, which highly disappoints me. So the best way to relish a menaskai is to make it at home; as simple as that.
Mangoes have already fared the market and they smell divine. Now who does not like the king of fruits? It is so special and savoured by all age group. How about giving a special touch to this seasonal fruit this summer? Pineapple or mango, do try the recipe now. it is going to turn super tasty, I bet.
- 1.Pineapple 1 cup cubed
- 2.Jaggery 2 Tbsp (refer note 1)
- 3.Curry Leaves 1 strand
- 4.Ghee 3tsp
- 5.Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- 6.Tamarind pulp 1 tbsp (refer note 2)
- Masala Paste Ingredients
- 1.Sesame Seeds 2 tsp
- 2.Dry Red chillies 3-4
- 3.Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
- 4.Urad dal 1tsp
- 5.Gram Dal 1Tbsp
- 6.Coriander 1 Tbsp
- 7.Fenugreek Seeds 1/4 tsp
- 8.Curry Leaves 1 strand
- 9.Grated Coconut 3/4 cup
- Boil 1 cup of water. Add curry leaves,tamarind , jaggery ,salt and turmeric powder.
- Once jaggery melts add pineapple . Cook it in low flame until pineapples are soft.
- Pineapples will take approximately 20 - 25 minutes to cook. Meanwhile prepare masala paste.
- For masala paste dry roast Urad dal and gram dal and keep it aside.
- Dry roast remaining masala ingredients except Sesame seeds.
- Grind all dry roasted ingredients into smooth paste .
- Now dry roast sesame seeds till it becomes golden brown.
- Add sesame seeds to ground masala paste and grind it once again.
- Add this masala paste to pineapple . Adjust water and salt and bring it to boil. (refer note 2)
- Server hot with white rice or Idli.
- 1. If the fruit is sweet enough you may reduce the jaggery to 1 tbsp.
- 2. Tamarind is optional. if the fruit you are using is sour enough, then you can omit or adjust as needed.
- 3. This curry is a thick one, so adjust water accordingly. around 1 cup of water and little more should do be enough.