Pakoda? or Paddu? or Mangalore Bajji ? Read on..
I made a quick snack inspired from paddu and pakoda. So what is this dish? Neither a pakoda nor a paddu, but combination of both in a different way. This snack will be a friend to you; because the preparation time is just under 10 minutes. This recipe is answer to your snack craving when you have no time.
To prepare paddu, one needs to make the batter and batter preparation will take at least a day. (Now, if you are using store brought batter, the story ends here 😛 ). A pakoda can be made quickly, but what if you thought of oil free snack. The answer to both these questions is pakoda paddu. Goodness of pakoda and paddu alike.
This dish is also inspired by famous golibaje/mangalore bajji. Mangluru bajji is a more common name, however I strongly stand by the name golibaje. Golibaje is a maida based snack, deep fried in oil. I have improvised the golibaje batter with some add-ons and used a paddu pan to fry them. Do you see, isn’t it all coming together?
Alternatively, you can fry this batter in oil, just like fritters – what you get is masala golibaaje. Otherwise, the add-ons I mentioned, add it to the paddu batter (rice and urad dal batter) and cook in paddu pan. You have masala paddu ready.
Is it not convenient to tweak your regular food items, give them a little twist and serve lip smacking snacks. Try it today, this is one too good to stop at one.
- Maida 1 cup
- Curd 2 tbsp
- Onion 1 small
- Green chillies 2 med
- Ginger 1/2 inch
- Carrot 1 small (optional)
- Capsicum 1 half (optional)
- Pudina leaves (optional)
- Coriander leaves 2 strands
- Curry leaves 1 strand
- Pepper powder 1 tsp
- Baking soda 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil to fry
- In a bowl, whisk together maida, salt and baking soda.
- Add curd and 2-3 tbsp water and mix.Prepare a lump free batter, adding water little by little. The batter should be thick but pouring consistency(Idli batter consistency).
- Let it rest until you prep the veggies.
- Finely chop onions, green chillies, coriander leaves, curry leaves, capsicum and pudina.Grate ginger and carrots.If using pudina, do not add more than 2 tsp since it has a strong flavour.
- Mix chopped vegetables,pepper powder into the batter. Adjust salt and batter consistency.
- Heat paddu tawa on medium flame. Grease it with oil.
- When the oil is hot, pour batter the paddu pan.
- Close the lid and and let it cook for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- Gently flip the paddus and let it cook on other side.
- Fry till the paddu gets a nice golden colour.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney/mint chutney or ketchup.