A quick one pot daal when you are running short of time. Nothing fancy; but a simple, soulful, comfort food.
Here I am using 3 types of daal in the dish. Moong daal , chilka moong and toor daal. We cook the daal in a pressure cooker with some tempering as base. This daal makes a tasty side for your roti as well as rice . There is nothing more to write over this humble recipe. Try this recipe today for a power packed meal.
Wash and soak Moong daal ,Chilka moong ,Toor daal for about 15 minutes.
In a pressure cooker, heat oil and ghee on low flame. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, green chilli, red chilli and ginger. Fry for a minute. Fry onions till transparent and add tomatoes.
- Moong daal 1/3 cup
- Chilka moong 1/3 cup
- Toor daal 1/3 cup
- Onions 2 med
- Tomato 2 med
- Green chilli 2 med
- Ginger 1 inch
- Dried red chilli 1 large
- Coriander leaves 1 small bunch
- Cumin seeds 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Dry mango/amchoor powder 1 tsp
- Oil 2 tsp
- Ghee 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak daal for about 15 minutes.
- Finely chop onions, tomato, ginger and coriander leaves. Slit green chilli.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and ghee on low flame.
- Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, green chilli, red chilli and ginger. Fry for a minute.
- Fry onions till transparent and add tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes turn soft add all dry powders. Add salt.
- Add daal, 3-4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Close the lid and pressure cook until 4 whistles on low-med flame.
- Once the pressure subsides, finish the daal with fresh coriander leaves.
- Adjust the consistency as required.
- 1. This recipe can be prepared with just one kind of daal.
- 2. Recipe uses combination of red chilli, green chilli and chilli powder. Adjust the spice level to suit your taste.
- 3. Consistency of the daal can be varied as per your requirement, keep it thick to go with rotis and dilute it to savour with rice.