This is a pan fried patties made from Kabuli chana. A medley of chana, potatoes, paneer and subtle flavours. Too good to be missed.I sourced this recipe from a TV show and was being made by Chef Rakesh Sethi. I made my own changes to this recipe and adjusted the ingredients available at the time of making.
Preparation time here is a little lengthy as the chana needs to be soaked for at least 5-6 hours. Definitely you cannot quickly make them for your guests, but if you have cooked chana ready, then yes! When I fried the first batch of tikkis it didn’t go well. They were delicate to handle after they were cooked and almost broke. I had missed breadcrumbs and hence the mixture did not hold on together. So what is the trick i did next? I quickly powdered some cornflakes and used them for coating, worked well 🙂
The chana tikkis will be soft and has a crisp outer layer. Its light on your tummy and a guilt free food. Serve it as an appetizer or as an accompaniment with your evening tea. Fresh mint chutney or ketchup makes a good combination as well.
- Kabuli chana boiled 1 cup
- Potato boiled half cup
- Paneer half cup
- Onion 1 small finely chopped
- Green chillies 2
- Coriander leaves 1 small bunch
- Pudina/ mint leaves 1 strand
- Garam masala 1tsp
- Chana masala 1tsp
- Chat masala 1tsp
- Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Breadcrumbs 2 tbsp
- Corn Flour 2 tbsp
- Turmeric 1tsp
- Oil for frying
- Wash and soak kabuli chana overnight or at least for 5-6 hours.
- Pressure cook chana till soft.
- In a mixing bowl, add chana and mash well a masher or a spatula.
- Add grated potato and paneer and mix well.
- Mix finely chopped onions and green chillies.
- Add all dry spice powders and corn flour.You can omit red chilli powder here, depends on the heat.
- Add chopped coriander and pudina and mix well till all the ingredients are combined.
Do not add water to the mixture.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 10-15 minutes.
- Pinch out small portions of mixture and shape them into tikki.
- Coat all the tikkis in breadcrumbs and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan for shallow frying.
Fry chana tikkis till golden brown and crisp.
Tip: like i said that i made variations to the recipe I had additionally added coriander, pudina,corn flour and chat masala. Also I have used corn flakes powder instead of breadcrumbs. The original recipe used Ajwain seeds which I omitted as I dint have them. You are free to make your own variations to this recipe.
I found this recipe easy to make and healthy too .Good work !
Thank you. Try this recipe and share your feedback.
Awesome. I loved the pics. The recipe is appealing.. 🙂
Thanks for sharing. Will put this on Twitter too.. 🙂
Thank you. Keep visiting our website for more such recipes.
Comments are closed.