Dosa and Rice Shavige are popular breakfast dish in every household. This one is an unusual combination of dosa and masala shavige/sevai. The idea was inspired by the variety dosa stall in my street.
There is a 99 variety dosa counter that opens up every evening near by. I wonder how he makes 99 varieties of dosas with just handful of ingredients, plus the dosa batter is common. This man creates mix and match of veggies and masalas and creates tasty dosas (yes I have tried them). And thus this idea of combining rice shavige/sevai upma with dosa originated.
You are in fact preparing 2 complete set of breakfast item and combining into a roll. I added some masala to the dosa batter which combined well with the filling. Shavige upma is a simple preparation. But all in all, this will take a little extra effort and your time, but its worth it. Take a bite of dosa with sevai upma, it might sound a little odd, but definitely tasty and different.
Do this experiment, take a chance. Still, don’t like it ? no problem, you don’t have to starve because you have 2 breakfast items. Enjoy it separately. I still insist, do try 🙂
- Rice 2 cup
- Urad Dal 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds 1tsp
- Sugar 1tsp
- Toor Daal 1tsp
- Thin Poha/flattened rice 2tsp
- Rice Shavige 1 cup
- Onion 1 Large
- Potato 1 small
- Tomato 1
- Curry leaves 2 strands
- Coriander leaves
- Green Chillies 2
- Ginger 1 inch
- Black pepper powder 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder 1tsp
- Ghee / Oil 3 tbsp
- Take the vermicelli in a vessel. Pour boiling water on it till vermicelli gets immersed . Keep it aside for 5 minutes. Now drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Once it starts spluttering add chopped curry leaves and green chillies. Sauté it for a minute.
- Add finely chopped onion and potato . Fry it for 5-6 minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder and salt . Mix well.
- Add cooked shavige/vermicelli . Mix it and close the lid. Cook it in low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame .
- Take a non stick frying pan and heat it well.
- Once pan is hot, reduce the flame and put 1 small cup batter on pan and gently spread it.
- Put 1tsp ghee on it and close it with lid. And increase the flame.
- Once Dosa is brown, Put Shavige masala on it . Close the lid and cook it in low flame for 1 minute.
- Switch of the flame and wrap it like a roll. Serve it with Chutney or Pickle.