A traditional sweet dish of Karnataka and an all-time favourite with all age group. A festive menu will usually have Gasagase Payasa on it. Oh yes, it can be enjoyed even on a non-festive day, like how I did!
Poppy seeds give a good texture and thickness to the curries or korma in Indian cuisine. It is also used in bread making or pastries or even desserts in European countries. So these little seed wonders have reached far and wide. But to us – the Karnataka folks, we dearly love our Gasagase Payasa/ poppy seeds kheer, a dessert form.
I had always known that poppy seeds induce good sleep, until I read about other health benefits it had to offer.
Apart from creating tasty dishes, poppy seeds are nutritional as well. They are apparently good for your health – when consumed moderately. You know, too much of anything is not too good always! So better strike a balance.
With all the benefits it has to offer and if you are not allergic (few are.), Why don’t you try this recipe today?A nice nutty flavoured drink, rich with coconut and cardamom flavour is sure a delectable treat. Give it a try.
- Gasagase/poppy seeds 1 tbsp
- Coconut 1/2 cup
- Jaggery 1/4 cup
- Milk 1 cup
- Cardamom powder 1 tsp
- Almonds 2-3
- Rice 1 tsp
- In a pan, dry roast poppy seeds, rice and almond till fragrant. Poppy seeds will slightly change colour.
- Let it cool and grind them to a fine powder without adding water.
- Add coconut and little water and grind to a fine paste.
- In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup of water and jaggery and let it melt.
- Strain the jaggery water for any impurities.
- Add poppy seeds - coconut paste and mix well.
- Adjust the consistency by adding warm milk.
- Add cardamom powder and let it boil.
- Finish it with cashew, almonds fried in ghee (optional).
- 1. Poppy seeds can be even soaked (instead of roasting) along with almonds and ground to a fine paste with coconut.
- 2. Adjust sweetness by adding/reducing jaggery. Sugar can also be used instead of jaggery.
- 3. If you do not wish to use milk, you can add water to adjust the consistency.