Hayagreeva Maddi is a naivedyam/offering to the deity of Vadiraja Mutt, in a beautiful town of Sodhe, Sirsi. Basically this naivedyam is made from bengal gram, jaggery and coconut and offered to hayagreeva, an avatar of Lord Vishnu, daily and hence the name hayagreeva or hayagreeva maddi.
A lot of festivities a lined u p ahead, and delicious sweet has to be part of your meal. On this Ganesha festival, why don’t you serve your loved ones this simple dessert. Easy to prepare recipe with 100% deliciousness.
- Bengal gram/chana dal 1 cup
- Jaggery 3/4th cup
- Fresh coconut grated 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder 1 tsp
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- Salt 1 pinch
- Pressure cook chana dal for 3-5 whistles. The dal should be cooked till soft, but still grainy.
- After pressure subsides, drain the water from dal and keep aside.
- Gently mash the dal. If you wish to keep it grainy leave it as-is.
- Heat a wide pan. Add 2 tbsp of water and jaggery.
- Let the jaggery melt and come to a boil.
- Add chana dal and mix well. cover and let the mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix coconut and ghee. Add cardamom powder.
- Finally garnish with some cashew and raisins fried in ghee.